Early settlors of the town of Bloomsdale first settled in about 1790 by two French families who migrated from Ste. Genevieve after the great flood of 1785. The two families wee the Janis family and the Du Clous family. The Janis family were settled where the present home of Joseph Eisenbeis stands (now Albert Eisenbeis - Wally Eisenbeis). Their house was the first established house in the district. The creek named after this house is known today as the Establishment Creek. The Duclous family settled where the present Joseph Kertz family lived ( now the Vince Basler home). The Fourche Du Clous creek was named after the Du Clous family and because the two creeks meet and empty into the Mississippi River they thought it best that two names be used for the two creeks. Bloomsdale was first called Village of Du Clous and the church as church of Village Du Clous. When the people decided to establish a Post Office many years later, some of the old settlers, two of which were Michael Drury (Mildred James grandpa) and Alexis Carron (Joe Carrons dad and Alexis Carrons grandpa) met to discuss a name. Mr Carron mentioned there was a teacher by the name of LaPorte here when the settlers could not decide what name they wished and they said Village Duclous is no name for this beautiful place. Let us call it a "dale" because it is a level place surrounded by hills. As it was in the spring of the year and everything was in bloom, they called it Bloomsdale. The Post Office was established about 1870 and at that time there was a priest living here by the name of Fr. Bloom so everybody thought they had named the town after him. However, Mr. Carron says it had been named before the priest came here. The first flour mill was built in August 1897 on the North side of what is normally referred to as the Mill Hill and occupied by the Joe Huck family. The initial owners were Joseph Brischle, Elliott Drury and Henry Carl. The first saloon was opened by Charles Freeman and operated it for several years, selling it to Mr. Joseph Bader who later rented it to his son Frank Bader and a man named Edgar Drury (father to Mrs C.O James). When prohibition came into full force it was converted into a soft drink stand. The last owner ofthis building was Ruth LaBrot, the daughter of Joseph Bader. The first high school opened in 1917. The teacher was Mr. Davidson but he only taught for one-half of the term. A Mr. Stuart finished the term. The first elementary school was in the little house between Jesse and Abner Drury's homes after the new bank was built they had school in the old creamery building. They had school there until the Bloomsdale High School was built in 1924 in the location where the KC hall is now located. Kertz Garage was opened for business in May 1918 to April 1919 and was known as Bloomsdale Auto Repair Co. In 1919 the name was change to Kertz Bros. Garage and had as owners Leonard and GeorgeKertz. This become eventually became Rips Sales & Service after WWII. The Bank of Bloomsdale was organized on 5-9-1914 and incorporated with a capital stock of $10,000. It opened for business on 6-20-1914. Initially the bank was in the creamery building but in 1916 a new bank was erected. Several other dates of importance were
-1901 the school was in a 4 room house where Marie Schwent eventually lived. -1900-1905 a 2 story Catholic School was built. All the stone came from Uding's quarry on the hill north of Bloomsdale. Horseback riding was about the only means of transportation and the ladies would ride as well as the men. They used double saddles and the men would come and get the ladies and take them out riding just as we go riding in vehicles today. The ladies made their own clothes which were woven out of wool. The ladies dresses were very stiff and they had borders around them - the fancy ones were made of different colors. Since the people had very little money and the little they had was used sparingly. They did make money by hauling lead from the lead mines in little carts. It took two days to make the trip and they were paid $2.00 per day.
The first store was built by Zone La Rose and a little later a new store by Jules and Charles Drury in 1885 (the old Grass Mercantile Store and later called Shoppers BiRite, Mary's Market South today) John Carron built the first blacksmith shop in Bloomsdale. The first resident doctor in Bloomsdale was Dr. Robert Lanning, Sr. He built the home where Mr. Elliott Drury lived (now the Fuzz Fallert home). The doctors office stood next to Baders Saloon.
About 1894 the farmers decided to build a new creamery venture. Stock was sold and the building built between the Post Office and the bank. Mr. Joseph Bader was head of the creamerand they employed Henry Bush at a salary of $50 per month to operate the creamery. All the farmers bought cows and some milked as high as 15 to 20. Butter sold at 12 to 15 cents per pound. They could not sell enough to make the creamery profitable and it eventually closed after about 6 years.
Mr. Joseph Carron said that one day when he was chopping wood an Indian approached him and stood only a few feet away. When he saw the Indian he jumped in surprise but shook his fist at the Indian to show he was not afraid. The Indian left in a hurry and not seen again. The Indians passed through this area on their way from Valle Mines and camped on the creek near the Cyrus Drury home That is why the creek is called Indian creek. This was about the year 1835. We do not doubt there were Indians around the area as arrows, axes and tomahawks have been found in the creek bottoms. The people who first plowed the land found Indian weapons along the creek and they unearthed what looked to be an Indian burial ground.
The chief amusement of the earlier settlers was dancing. During the winter months they would meet at some home and the ladies would quilt while the men would roll logs or such corn. After the work was over they would start dancing and dance all night. Lunch and refreshments were always served and the parties continued sometimes lasting until the next day. Weddings lasted for 2 days and those invited people from Ste. Genevieve, Lawrenceton, and French Village stayed because it was difficult to get enough people because the country was sparsely populated. After more people came, the French organized a New Years custom called the LaGuinae which was a French custom of celebration to usher in the New Year. This custom lasted in Bloomsdale for many years and still exists in Ste. Genevieve.
The first church was built about 1835. It was a 50x60 log building with four rooms attached in the back for the priests home. The first resident priest here was Father Ancelm. After more people settled in the area, they decided to build a larger church. Father Mullenbach was then pastor. There were about 15 parishioners and each one was taxed certain amount. Mike Drury and Joseph Carron were the largest donors, each giving $500. in cash and $1,000 in labor. They tore down the old church and erected the new one on the same site using the same foundation. The stone was excavated between Joseph Ray's and Lawrence Schwents. It took about 3 years to complete the church. Now everyone will agree that the people of Bloomsdale can feel proud when they see the church and think of the hardships and sacrifices their ancestors made to build the church, but as long as it stands it will ever be a monument to the builders.
The first person buried in the cemetery was Isaac Placite's (Missheau) wife. The first death on record in the church books is E. Ledor, March 20, 1873 at age 19 y ears, 4 months. The first marriage on record is Moses LaRose married to Josephine Maurice on Feb. 18, 1873. Many of the priests did not keep records as they would travel through and say mass about once a month before the new church was built. There were few stores in Bloomsdale at that time but eventually in 1909 Fr. Hassell came as pastor.